Don't panic, there's a simple way to get all the luster back.
It is inevitable that your silver jewellery will tarnish over time. Sterling Silver is 92.5% Silver and 7.5% other metal, usually Copper. This 7.5% makes silver hard. On the downside, it makes it susceptible to tarnish. Air is the culprit. Silver generally tarnishes faster in places of high humidity. Other chemicals like sulfur in the air (pollution) or contact with hairspray, perfume & lotion may speed up the tarnishing process.
So it’s good to know that you can bring back that shine with just a few items from your kitchen pantry!
-baking soda (also known as Bicarb, Bicarbonate of soda)
- Aluminum Foil
- container (ceramic, bowl, glass, plastic – anything!)
Steps to Shiny Silver
1. Line your container with aluminum foil with the shiny side up
2. Add Baking soda (2 tablespoon per liter of boiling water)
3. Fill your container with boiling water
4. Add your silver and make sure it touches the aluminum foil
5. Wait 30 sec – 1 min
6. Filp your silver
7. Wait 30 sec – 1 min
~~ DONE! ~~
Depending on how badly tarnished your jewellery is, you may have to repeat the process. Let me know how you go and if you have any tips, do let us know in the comments!